Finished 10th July + updated with a DIY-showcase 12th October 2016

250 Pieces

Tutankhamons Death Mask

A handcut wooden jigsaw made by Michèle Wilson

explore the development process + information here


gif created with gifcreator.me

++++

3 months later I decided to build a frame and fix this wonderful wooden jigsaw puzzle.

1st step: I fixed a piece of thick white paper on the reverse side of the jigsaw puzzle

 
and coloured it black. I weighted it overnight to avoid the bending of the paper.
2nd step: I applied a special lacquer on the front of the jigsaw puzzle. It fixes the pieces and keeps the colours from water and fading. The lacquer had to dry for a day.
3rd step: I built a display case from high density fibreboard (30x43cm) and coloured it with dark-brown pigments on waterbase. I had to re-colour the display case several times to gain a close-to-black-colour.
4th step: I glued a wooden block of wood (6,5x9,5x5cm) inside the showcase and coloured it black with the same pigments like the showcase.
6th step: I fixed a metal hanging on the reverse side
final step: I glued the mask on the block and weighted it down overnight with a huge piece of metal

The mask looks like miraculously levitating inside the showcase

 
 




Comments

Popular Posts